Greetings. I’m Jeff Johnson and I founded Digital Ruby in 2009 in order to learn how to run a software company, teach myself mobile programming and expand my skills and knowledge. I craft iOS apps, websites and server software.
My latest blog post:
Jun 2, 2019
I recently began a migration off of Windows Server. I’ve used it for about 7 years now to host this website along with other websites and services for my business.
I recently started researching .NET core and mono on Ubuntu 18.04. Things are working very well. With MySQL, .NET core and mono I can basically run everything on a cheap Linux VPS from OVH – only about 3.5 USD a month! My dedicated server right now is 45 USD / month so a couple of Linux VPS is a huge cost savings.
I think Microsoft needs to make a free version of Windows Server that has no GUI and is all command line. Or just make a Windows/Linux compatible OS for servers. Make it integrated with Azure or something. Because the cost of Windows (and SQL Server) is too high in my opinion, especially for indie developers.
- Moving Away From Windows Server
- Unity May Madness Sale 2019
- You Doodle Update 2019
- iOS App Store Search is Still Broken
- The Sorry State of SMTP Server Software
- You Doodle Update 2018
- Cryptocurrency is Going Bananas
- Cryptocurrency is Partying Like it’s 1999
- Time Management – A Small Nugget of Wisdom About Agile Software Development
- Apple Limits App Titles to 50 Characters, Still Doesn’t Get Search
- Getting a Properly Rotated UIImage from AVCaptureSession
- Really Cheap Home NAS (Network Attached Storage)
- Customer Service Tips
- Solving the Problem of Online Voting
- Shader – How to do Simple Bit Masking in an OpengL / Unity Shader
- Unity – My Experience Making Unity Assets
- Happy New Year 2016
- AdMob Crashes Apps… Again.
- iOS Core Graphics vs Android Canvas API
- You Doodle for Android Progress Update
- Using Xamarin to put You Doodle on Android
- H Pylori is no Fun – H Pylori Treatment, and H Pylori Success Story
- AdMob Outperforms iAd and Facebook Audience Network
- Procedural Lightning Featured on Unity Asset Store
- Xamarin Product Tiers Analysis