Welcome to Digital Ruby! I’m Jeff Johnson and I founded Digital Ruby, LLC in 2009 in order to learn how to run a business, teach myself mobile programming and expand my skills and knowledge. I makes iOS Apps, websites and server software.
I get several emails everyday from people asking for links to be removed from YouReview because of a Google penalty. At first I dutifully responded to each email telling the person that removing the links will not help because I use the “nofollow” attribute on all my links. Now, I simply ignore them and am somewhat saddened by the lack of education about links and Google.
What is nofollow? Nofollow is a way to tell Google and other search engines that you do not want the link to count for search engine ranking purposes. For Google specifically, this means the link will not affect the PageRank of the site you are pointing to. Removing the link will not improve or hurt the ranking of the site the link was pointing to. Google simply ignores the link in it’s ranking algorithm.
As a web master, please check that the link you are asking to be removed does not have the “nofollow” attribute. If it does, please don’t bother the website owner as removing the link will not help you.
You can inspect the link using Google Chrome. Right click on the link and choose “inspect element”. You can then see the raw html and if the link has a rel=”nofollow” you don’t need to worry about the link.
- Google Penalty – Why removing links probably won’t help you
- Get a CDN (Content Delivery Network) Immediately
- Wimshire – Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls
- iOS StoreKit Receipt Verification and Validation
- All Code is an API – One Insight on How to Design Good Interfaces in Programming
- Quick and dirty profiling for iOS
- Why You May Not Need a Schedule
- To the Cliffs – What Happens After the First Week for a New iOS App
- TexturePacker – A Fast and Easy Utility to Create Spritesheets
- The Cheapest Best Dedicated Server
- The Price is Right
- iAd vs AdMob
- Birdshot is now on the iOS App Store!
- Manual Penalty or Bad Search Algorithm?
- Bird Flight is now on the iOS App Store
- You Doodle – Now With Fleksy Integration
- No Silver Bullet
- Sage Advice from Quark
- Flappy Bird, Super Ball Juggling and Shuriken Block – Oh My
- New You Doodle Icon
- Solving the iOS App Store Search Problem
- Does Your App Icon REALLY Matter That Much?
- Factorials, Meetings and a Visual
- iOS Hardware and Model Version Numbers
- The iOS App Store has a Spam Problem