Greetings. I’m Jeff Johnson and I founded Digital Ruby in 2009 in order to learn how to run a software company, teach myself mobile programming and expand my skills and knowledge. I craft iOS apps, websites and server software.
My latest blog post:
Feb 28, 2015
Today I did a major testing session in my app, You Doodle. I focused heavily on the frames tool. In doing this testing I found two major bugs that were really nasty. My filters were removing transparent areas out of the frames, and choosing custom frames from Dropbox or the device would crash the app frequently.
I’ll be honest, I haven’t tested my frames feature in many months. I’m sure these features worked fine when they were first coded up and shipped off. But as I’ve refactored code, iterated and made new features, I’m sure there were changes made that caused these bugs to appear.
Any software must be regularly tested, whether it be unit tests, manual testing or integration testing. Without this testing, software will erode and become more buggy and more unstable.
As I’ve written earlier, I’m not the biggest fan of unit tests. They don’t often test user interaction, and they don’t test integration with other systems, which in my opinion, lessens their value. Manual and user testing I think are critical, especially for mobile apps, as well as integration testing with dependencies.
Go fix some bugs before doing that next big feature, your users will thank you.
- Software Erosion
- What Matters Most for Success
- My Battle With Core Audio
- Zombie Game with Unity3D – Part 1
- Blur Photos for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
- Why has your Admob and iAd ECPM Plummeted / Dropped in January?
- Crashplan vs. Carbonite 2015 – You won’t believe this…
- How to Pick a Good App Name – to Stuff or not to Stuff
- Money is Mana
- My Last Day – I Quit my Day Job
- The Life of the Solo Indie Developer
- Introducing DRColorPicker for iOS – Top Color Picker for iOS
- How to split a string in SQL Server the right way
- The Power of Batching
- Google Penalty – Why removing links probably won’t help you
- Get a CDN (Content Delivery Network) Immediately
- Wimshire – Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls
- iOS StoreKit Receipt Verification and Validation
- All Code is an API – One Insight on How to Design Good Interfaces in Programming
- Quick and dirty profiling for iOS
- Why You May Not Need a Schedule
- App Rank Drop After First Week – Learn Why This Happens
- TexturePacker – A Fast and Easy Utility to Create Spritesheets
- The Cheapest Dedicated Server
- Make Your Paid App Free to Get Downloads