Greetings. I’m Jeff Johnson and I founded Digital Ruby in 2009 in order to learn how to run a software company, teach myself mobile programming and expand my skills and knowledge. I craft iOS apps, websites and server software.
My latest blog post:
Apr 18, 2016
Recently I was trying out a certain Unity asset from the asset store. I was hoping to use it in a 2D project of mine. Excited by the description, demo videos and screenshots, I purchased the asset and attempted to get it working in my 2D game. After tweaking a few rotations and lines of script, I finally had lasers firing in the correct direction. Unfortunately as I dug futther, I realized that all the lighting and physics was hard-coded to 3D. At this point I realized that it would be more work than worth it to convert the code to handle 2D mode.
I contacted the developer for instructions. They replied that I simply had to drag and drop prefabs and everything would work as-is. This was simply not true. Finally I gave up and asked refund. The developer refused. I then took to writing a scathing review about how horrible their customer service was. They replied to the review calling me a troll. Privately they emailed back saying they would refund the purchase if I removed the review. I did remove the review and they did finally refund me. I’ll never buy from this developer again.
There were only two proper responses:
1] I’m sorry sir, we will go through the code and make it support 2D mode ASAP or
2] I’m sorry sir, we have no plans to make this work with 2D, we will refund you immediately
As a solo developer, I don’t have control over very much. But I do have control over how hard I work, and how good my customer service is. If someone wants a refund from any of my Unity plugins, ever, for any reason, I will try to fix their problem ASAP if they are willing to wait a day or two. If this doesn’t work, I give them their money back immediately.
I emplore you who sell digital goods whoever you are to adopt a similar policy.
- Customer Service Tips
- Solving the Problem of Online Voting
- Shader – How to do Simple Bit Masking in an OpengL / Unity Shader
- Unity – My Experience Making Unity Assets
- Happy New Year 2016
- AdMob Crashes Apps… Again.
- iOS Core Graphics vs Android Canvas API
- You Doodle for Android Progress Update
- Using Xamarin to put You Doodle on Android
- H Pylori is no Fun – H Pylori Treatment, and H Pylori Success Story
- AdMob Outperforms iAd and Facebook Audience Network
- Procedural Lightning Featured on Unity Asset Store
- Xamarin Product Tiers Analysis
- Facebook Audience Network Ads Crash Big Time
- Lightning Particle System for Unity 3D – Procedural Lightning
- iAd vs. Facebook Audience Network
- The Value of Your App Portfolio
- Zombie Game Part 2 – The Quest for Fun
- Apple goes down for 12 hours because of a DNS error
- Software Erosion
- What Matters Most for Success
- My Battle With Core Audio
- Zombie Game with Unity3D – Part 1
- Blur Photos for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
- Why has your Admob and iAd ECPM Plummeted / Dropped in January?